Friday, August 31, 2012

Paddle, Paddle....

Derek's birthday adventure of paddleboarding left him wanting more - seriously, he loved it! So on another sunny summer day (the kind of day that you just HAVE to take advantage of in Washington and be outside) we headed back to Olympia for round two.




Derek paddleboarding in front of the Capital.


And me...kayaking happily along beside him. I opt for the kayak in order to spare my husband the task of having to help me for what would have been numerous times of falling off the paddleboard. It would not have been good...at all.


So let me tell you why my paddleboarding career lasted all of five minutes. (Remember, I told you there was a story behind this kayak.) I am not ashamed to say that I am not much of a risk taker. I don't try a ton of new things. And when I do try something, I have to be at least 80% sure that I will succeed at it. So paddleboarding seemed like a great idea for Derek's birthday and I was all gung ho to go for it.

And then I stood on one...in the water. Not sure what I was expecting. It's a board on the water. Water is not solid...I should've known this. And as I stood there 2 inches from the dock on this paddleboard, I knew one thing for certain - I was going to fall off...multiple times. It wasn't that the board was going to shoot out from under me, I have every confidence in the board. But my wobbly, knocking knees were telling a different story altogether. And so I listened and decided to go with what I knew I could do - kayak.

I'm not giving up paddleboarding yet though, I just need to be somewhere in shallow water where I can practice and get more comfortable. Maybe next summer. :)

So anyway...

Here's my perspective from my kayak looking up at my paddleboarding husband standing on the water.


Hooray for kayaks!


And here we are together, best I could do. :)


Pretty Capital Lake...




Love this guy! Love our adventures!

1 comment:

  1. Paddleboarding or kayaking...either way, you were together & having another fun adventure. Love, love your blog, and love, love you two! ♥

    ReplyDelete