Monday, June 11, 2012

Five Whole Years!!

It's official. Derek and I have been husband and wife for five whole years!

When I look at our wedding pictures, I just can't convince myself that they are five years old! I feel like they could've been taken yesterday...but they weren't. They were taken 1,825 days ago. Whoa!

Incredible...I still feel like a newlywed and I hope I always do. I feel so lucky to spend everyday of my life with the person I love most in this world. We are having so much fun together!

I have a few thoughts on marriage...maybe you've had them, too.

Marriage is just like a child, it develops in stages.

The first year is the newborn/baby stage. It doesn't matter what a baby does, you can't help but love it...through the smiles and giggles, the screams and cries. People love babies no matter what...just like the first year and "honeymoon" phase of marriage. Love conquers all!

Then come the toddler stages, years 2 through 4...yikes! What happened to our sweet baby? Who is this tantrum throwing, completely unreasonable child? But wait, this is still the child who loves to snuggle up to you at the end of the day and who still gives the best hugs and kisses out there. Of course, you still love the toddler as much as you loved the baby, but some days, it is just a little more difficult and requires more work and effort. But it's worth it.

Then you hit childhood, age five. A little older, much more logical, and able to more clearly communicate. It's a nice age. It feels like the age where you start to get in a groove. And though you occasionally revert back to toddler behavior, for the most part, those days are gone. It feels good.

And well, that's where we are...in a really nice groove. I have loved every second of our marriage, every stage that it's been through. And I really love where we are now. I wouldn't change or trade it for anything.

Thank you Derek Thomas, for loving me through all the stages! You are my one and only!! I love you!!

June 9, 2007
I couldn't have been happier to finally marry my very best friend and start our brand new life together!


2008
No picture...but there's a reason. We spent our first anniversary at Kids Camp in Boggs Springs, Arkansas. I do remember that they served up the infamous "Bogg Burrito" that night and ever since, I have a very strict "NO BURRITO POLICY" on June 9, ha!

2009
We had a fun weekend getaway in Portland, Oregon to celebrate our second anniversary. It was our first vacation since our honeymoon and the weekend that we fell in love with The Melting Pot! We love Portland!


2010
We celebrated our third anniversary with dinner at The Melting Pot and watching a Cirque Du Soleil show in Seattle. We spent the night and then the whole next day exploring our favorite parts of the city.


2011
For our fourth anniversary, we took a trip to Las Vegas!! Seriously, are we old enough to be taking trips like this by ourselves??


2012
On our fifth anniversary, we had a lovely brunch at Sky City Restaurant at the top of the Space Needle in Seattle.

After our brunch, we visited the new David Chihuly Garden & Glass Exhibition. I know...we're so grown up and sophisticated and stuff, right? Ha! I'll blog more details of our day later.


What an amazing journey it has been. I can hardly wait to see where it takes us next. Have I mentioned lately how much I love my husband? Well, let me say it again...I love you sweetheart, more than I know how to express in words. You are the BEST!!

No comments:

Post a Comment