Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Back to Work!

I have to say, I am not a fan of rejection. I don't like it one bit. In all honesty, if I ever thought I might be rejected from something, I probably wouldn't even go for it. It's definitely one of my biggest fears. And boy, did I get my fill of it this summer. And this was the lesson I learned...


It goes right along with this verse:

"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." Romans 8:28

And although I know it, sometimes I forget =)

It has truly been the desire of my heart to get back in the classroom in a full-time position, but it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack! Education cuts mean fewer jobs, which leads to very highly qualified, but unemployed, teachers. And for every job opening, there are literally at least 100 applicants, many of whom are those highly qualified teachers. Of those applicants, maybe 6 or 7 actually get interviews. It's a tough place to be in, especially for someone like me, who is still considered a "newbie" in the education world.

But last summer, I was called to interview for a 4th grade position at a local elementary school in Steilacoom. I really thought I nailed it, only to receive that dreaded news of "You were a very strong candidate, but we decided to go with someone else." BAM! Rejection. I cried...and cried...and cried some more, but then I picked myself up and accepted the fact that it was not the job God had in mind for me.

Same summer, different school, different interview. Same story. Twice-rejected. And the cycle would be repeated once more in the fall. Oh well - each opportunity seemed like the perfect one, but obviously, they were not. And I just kept thinking that something better must be waiting.

Then I started substitute teaching and I landed at this school...

Chloe Clark Elementary in DuPont

You probably recognize this place because it looks like this on Sunday nights...


From my very first day subbing at Chloe Clark, I fell in love with the school. It's seriously amazing! I told Derek on that first day that I would rather scrub toilets at Chloe Clark than teach at any other school. I loved it that much!

Then, just a few weeks ago, I saw an open position for a Para Educator (like an assistant) in the special needs class. I applied right away and prayed that I would be called for an interview. Well, I got that call and went in for my interview. And then I waited...I interviewed on Monday and by Thursday I had resolved it in my mind that I would probably open the mailbox on Friday and see that dreaded letter. But Friday came and no letter - hope was still alive. Later Friday afternoon, I received a phone call and honestly thought that this was going to be it, they were letting me know they were going with someone else. But it was a different kind of phone call this time - this phone call came with a job offer!! Woohoo!! I couldn't be more thrilled to accept. I started the very next week (February 15) and was instantly crazy about my job, my students, and my co-workers. And though I am exhausted, both physically and mentally, I am as happy as a clam!


Can't you tell? Well, maybe you see more tired than happy in this picture, but I promise the happy outweighs the tired by alot, ha!

And now I can honestly say that I am thankful for all of the previous rejections. If I were locked into one of the other jobs, I wouldn't be able to be where I am now. I am thankful that what seemed like a "good" thing fell apart so that something better could fall together. And I know it wasn't by accident - it was His plan all along =)

"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

2 comments:

  1. Great post Alissa!!!
    I am happy with you!!!
    Chloe Clark is SO incredibly blessed to have you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl I love you! You made me laugh so hard when you talked about the scrubbing. I'm so happy for you, I did not know it is the same school that you all do Life Church. Our God is Awesome! Congrats dear. (Hugs)

    ReplyDelete