Monday, January 31, 2011

Fighting back...

We all get them...the Monday blahs.

Typically the score is Monday: 344,644,836,983,295,738 Alissa: 0

Poor Monday, the stereotypically worst day of the week, and we have to suffer through 52 of them every year. I've never ever heard someone say that Monday was their favorite day of the week...unless of course, Monday happens to be the first day of a vacation or special event, then it's "Hooray for Monday!"

I have been a victim of the Monday blahs myself...often. But I've been working on turning that around this year. It wasn't really a resolution, but just something I really wanted to do, make Monday magnificent - or at least tolerable, ha!

So here are a few of the things I like to do on Monday to perk up my day:

1. I have TWO quiet times on Monday.



By quiet time, I am referring to spending time with God for just a few minutes either through reading in my Bible, journaling, praying, listening to some of my favorite worship songs (lately I am really into Audrey Assad), or reading another special book. I've been a great fan of journaling my prayers lately. I am much more focused that way.

I typically have a late afternoon/evening quiet time and there's a good reason for that. No matter how hard I try or how much I really want to be, I am so NOT a morning person...not even with Jesus, lol. He knows all about it...He created me, right? =) However, Monday requires both an a.m. and a p.m. quiet time and it does help brighten my day.

2. Open the blinds.



It's no secret that the Northwest is a cloudy, rainy place. But no matter what it looks like outside, I always open or raise the blinds on Monday. There's just something about being able to look outside that lifts my spirits.

3. Get dressed.



I love a pajama day as much as the next gal, but that day is not for Monday. Mondays are the hardest days to force myself out of my p.j.'s and into presentable clothing...especially when I have nothing on my agenda. But it works! Putting myself together on a Monday morning makes for a much happier me and at least I can say I accomplished one thing, right??

4. Paint my toenails



Sounds crazy, I know. But every Monday I give my tootsies a fresh coat of paint...they typically need it by this point anyway. Being from the South, I am a barefoot queen when I'm inside my own home and it's so nice to look down and have something pretty looking back at me. I am usually fairly neutral when it comes to polish. But lately, I have been having lots of fun with crazy colors. After all, these toes have to stay hidden inside a warm shoe for most of the year so no one else is going to see them anyway. I've discovered the $0.97 polish section at Target and so right now I am wearing the brightest shade of hot pink you've ever seen! Fun!!

5. Change the sheets



Who doesn't love clean, fresh sheets? I adore them. I go to bed with a smile on my face when it's clean sheet day. This is actually a habit I've had for a long time...pretty much since Derek and I got married. Monday is always, always, always clean sheet day in the Thomas house! (And I use double fabric softener so it's extra nice). And what better way to end a Monday than on a bed of freshly laundered sheets?

Happy Monday everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. I like it! I may need to start my Monday's off with clean sheets as well...great idea! I think you have inspired me to go and paint my toenails now! Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Maybe I should add "Make a trip to BBY with a friend" to my Monday list...what do you think? =)

    ReplyDelete