Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thanksgiving is already over?

We had only been in Washington for a month when Thanksgiving came last year. We knew we wouldn't be able to make it back home to be with our families so quickly, which meant we would be spending our first Thanksgiving away from them. It was very strange, kind of like Thanksgiving didn't happen, even though we were super blessed to spend it with another family who so lovingly invited us over. Still, there's no turkey like your mom's turkey =)...or in my case, Mom's dumplings and G's turkey!!

This year we were so excited and so fortunate to actually get to be home with our families for Thanksgiving. We flew in on Sunday afternoon and flew out on Friday morning. As always, time flew by and now we find ourselves asking what happened to Thanksgiving?? It was a fabulous trip home and we got to see so many (but not all) of our friends and family. We even got to meet new faces, like my sweet friend Kimberly's baby Noah.

It's amazing how even the littlest of events are big events when you only get to see your family a few times per year...like going to the orthodontist with my cousin, or stopping to eat at Chili's on the way home from the airport, or hitting Sonic's happy hour every single day just b/c you can! There are so many little moments that are really huge moments because they are spent with family.

Regretfully, we didn't get a ton of pictures this trip (too busy having fun I suppose) but we did get a ton of memories and just a few pictures to go along with that...


Hanging out with my family at Thanksgiving lunch #1. I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to see my Dad! He looks amazing, even better than when I saw him last July. Thanks so much to those of you who have been and continue to pray for him and our family. They are truly felt and appreciated =) And in case you don't recognize the dark headed chick on the floor, that's my little sister and her new hair color...I guess we do look alike after all!


Pictures of the grandkids...let me break this down for you...
Bottom row is Lauren (my sister) and Jared
Middle Row is me holding Zack (Jared's brother) and Josh holding Jacob (his son)
Top Row is of course my sweetie Derek and Brittney, Josh's wife who is expecting baby Jaxton in January!


Us with MawMaw Betty and Papa Howard at Thanksgiving lunch #2
We are so lucky that Mrs. Joanna hosts Thanksgiving at her house and invites her family as well as Mr. Darron's so that we get to have everyone together for Thanksgiving. I am so blessed with such a fabulous family of in-laws!!


This is one of those priceless "little moments" when Zack jumped in a pillowcase and announced that he was "Zack in a Sack" =)

And of course, after Turkey Thursday comes Black Friday. Allow me to elaborate for you. Our flight was scheduled to leave New Orleans at 7:00a.m. Knowing that I would only get a couple of hours of sleep anyway, my mom, my aunt, my sis, and myself decided to shop the night away. We started with the outlet mall in Gulfport, which opened at midnight. Sounded fun until we realized that of the thousands of people there, they were all concentrated in 5 stores! So we waited in only one drastically long line and then moved on to Old Navy. It was then 3:00a.m. and nothing else had really opened yet, so we found Sonic, ate breakfast, and then headed to New Orleans. Arriving at New Orleans around 4:50, we realized that we could probably hit Wal-Mart before traveling to the airport, so like the crazies we were, we did it. Grabbed a few Wal-Mart deals (what I could pack in a carry on suitcase) and arrived at the airport at 6:00a.m...what a night! I am not usually a good airplane sleeper, but I snoozed just fine on this occasion. It was a great night and I wouldn't trade it for anything!


My best Black Friday deal...a 24 Hour Sonic!!

So even though Thanksgiving has passed, I am constantly reminded to "give thanks in all things!" Thanksgiving is not just a holiday, it's an attitude and so thankfully, Thanksgiving can last all year long =)

No comments:

Post a Comment