Friday, May 15, 2009

Only a Surprise to Us

Most of you know that my Dad is currently battling renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer). In November of last year, he had a seizure at work because of a brain tumor. He underwent surgery to remove the tumor, and then had a kidney removed in December. Further tests showed several small tumors on his lung, for which he has been taking a chemo pill to treat. Just this week, Mom and Dad were in Houston at M.D. Anderson Hospital to see what progress has been made. Some of the lung tumors are no longer there and others are smaller. However, two new tumors have been discovered and must be treated. One tumor is on the brain again, and the other is in the pelvic area. In two weeks, my family will go back to Houston for Dad to have radiation treatment on the brain tumor, as well as a bone scan to learn more about the tumor in the pelvic area.

Since this started last November, so many of you have expressed your sympathy and love for our family through your prayers, phone calls, emails, facebook messages, and many other ways. My family and I are so appreciative of every single one of you, and now we are just asking you to continue to pray for Dad as his body is going through so much in trying to get rid of this cancer. He definitely needs strength both physically and mentally. Even though we were surprised by the new tumors, we know that nothing takes our amazing God by surprise, and we are comforted in knowing that He is ALWAYS in control. Please continue to lift my Dad and my family up in your prayers. Our hope is definitely in HIM!



Here is Dad with a couple of his "trophies" from turkey season this year.
I am so glad that he gets to hunt while going through this!

1 comment:

  1. Alissa-
    I was praying for you Dad's trip to MD Anderson this week and totally forgot to ask you about things last night. I am sorry to let something so important slip my mind. I was just looking at your Mom's facebook to see if she had an update and didn't, then I realized that Derek is on his way over to see Kyle and I could ask him...in the meantime, I checked your blog and got my update. Thanks for keeping us posted here. I am definitely continuing to pray for your daddy! Love you!

    ReplyDelete