Thursday, April 18, 2013

Adventures in D.C. - Day One: Smithsonian, Dinner, & THE WHITE HOUSE!!

So, once we left Arlington, we first headed over to Union Station to grab a bite to eat and then we went exploring at the Smithsonian Institution National Air & Space Museum.





I really wish I had alot of cool facts and statistic-y things to share with you but quite honestly, I don't. It was just cool to walk around and see so many life size pieces of aircraft on display from floor to ceiling. I'll just let you enjoy the pictures. :)
















Of special interest to me was the area designated to the space shuttle program!

Why?

Because my Dad spent nearly 30 years of his life building the external fuel tank - this map shows the location of the plant where he spent so much of his time.


This was a really cool scale version of the shuttle...see those tiny people at the bottom? That's just how small they would be next to the actual shuttle. Wow!


An actual size fuel thruster...


I felt pretty proud to be there, standing next to pieces of history that my Dad was a part of...really proud. :)


We left the museum to head over to a different part of the city so we could catch up with a friend we haven't seen in over four years...

Brittany! We met Brittany and her family when we were serving at Trinity Baptist in West Memphis, Arkansas. They were (and still are) one of our favorite families and it was so good to see Brittany and spend a few hours just hanging out and catching up on life. She's about to start law school at Georgetown - we are so proud of her! Maybe the next time we visit D.C., she'll be working in the White House, it seriously wouldn't surprise us one bit!

After dinner, Brittany pointed out that we were just a few blocks away from the White House...and even though it wasn't on our "list" for the day, how could we NOT go check it out??

So we did. :)

And I have to say...I was skeptical. I kept staring at it thinking "That can't be it. What is this place then? It looks nothing like what I remember from tv and pictures." Then I found out we were on the North Lawn, as in the lawn that doesn't face Pennsylvania Avenue. It all made sense and I was content. :)

THE WHITE HOUSE!!






What a perfect surprise ending to our very first tourist-y day!

No comments:

Post a Comment