Saturday, December 11, 2010

My 20 Year Old Confession

I once was a mega-fan.

I had the albums (cassette tapes at the time). I had the VHS concert tapes. I had the apparel. I was even in the official fan club.

All for these guys...

I think it's the only time in my life when I was a mega fan of any kind of band...but I was serious...and I was also 7 years old.

In fact, when I started 1st grade in 1990, this was my lunch box...

However, I didn't get to keep it very long because it quickly became the talk of my conservative, private, Christian school and they made me cover the front of it with stickers...still a sore subject with my Mom to this day, ha!

My cousins and I would get together for sleepovers to watch this tape over and over

And here's my dorky confession (but remember, I was a mega fan)...each of us had our favorite NKOTB...and we would sit so close to the tv watching this tape, just waiting for our favorite to have a close up shot so we could make kissy faces at the screen. I told you we were serioius =)

I wanted so desperately to see NKOTB in concert, I could hardly stand it. But tour after tour, they didn't come close to south Mississippi...until on year, they were going to be in Baton Rouge and my aunt was going to take her daughters and had invited me!! I'm not sure I've ever wanted anything so bad in my life...all 7 years of it. But ultimately, I wasn't allowed to go because the concert was on a Saturday and they would spending the night, meaning I would miss church on Sunday, which was definitely not allowed in my house. I cried...and cried...and cried.

But thank goodness dreams never die, because on July 8, 2011, 20 years after being denied the chance to see my favorite band, I'll be seeing these fellas at the Tacoma Dome!

Now to be honest, I could really care less about the BSB...they are my sister's favorites and the boy band of her generation, but they are definitely not the reason why I'm going. I just can't wait and am already feeling like the seven year old mega fan again!

And don't worry...this concert is on a Friday...and I won't be missing church =)

No comments:

Post a Comment